Lego introduced (on June 12, 2020) a new Mindstorms Robot Inventor 5 in 1 kit for $359.99.
Visit this web site to learn a lot more about this new STEM / STEAM product.
In the meantime, here is a little bit about it:
Included in this kit are five robots your child (10 and up) can build and program (see the above picture). I copied this info from the Lego website shown above….hope they don’t mind.
- Blast – this master robot is a stoic action hero. It can fire or hammer its way through obstacles and grab items. Builders can be the ultimate commanders, programming it to scan its environment and fire darts if it senses danger. Perfect for guarding your room!
- Charlie – this quirky sidekick helper can give out high fives, dance, play the drums, deliver small gifts, and charm friends with its smile.
- Tricky – the sporty bot is the ultimate athlete. Code it to complete the perfect slam dunk or master a plethora of robot sports: basketball, bowling or soccer – the list goes on and on.
- Gelo – a real life four-legged robot. Its unique mechanism means it can walk, avoid obstacles, and even perform tricks.
- M.V.P. – The Modular Vehicle Platform gets the job done. Create and code your own remote control and build the M.V.P. into a buggy, a crane, a shooter turret or even a brick-eating truck to pick up LEGO bricks left by the other robots.
Working via Bluetooth, the robots can be programmed using your IOS or Android devices using the Robot Inventors app. See the photo below.
The Lego Mindstorms Robot Inventor includes:
- 949 pieces
- 5 unique models to build and code
- The largest robot Blast stands at over 14” (36 cm) tall
- The free LEGO® MINDSTORMS® Robot Inventor coding app for kids uses coding language based on Scratch and supports Python for more advanced coders.
- The application works across PC Windows 10 + macOS, iOS and Android tablets and smartphones as well as specific Fire OS devices.
And includes these “new elements” since this is first new Mindstorms product in 7 years, and you know, the whole world has changed since then, and 7 years ago in the technology world is ancient times. 🙂
- LED 5×5 matrix
- Bluetooth connectivity
- 6 axis gyro/accelerometer
- Includes a micro USB port for connectivity with compatible devices
- Rechargeable Lithium-ion battery included
Color sensor – able to distinguish between eight colors and measures reflected and ambient light from darkness to bright sunlight
Distance sensor – detects obstacles, programmable LED ‘eyes’ and an integrated 6-pin adaptor for third-party sensors, boards and DIY hardware.
4 x medium-angular motors feature low-profile design, integrated rotation sensor with absolute positioning
Anyway…..it looks good and has a LOT of functionality, as it should for $359.99.
See more STEM / STEAM stuff on ForCarol here: